Monday, November 28, 2011

Eglinton and Laird/Then and Now

A selection of photos taken in 1955 prior to the widening of Eglinton East.

Yonge and Castlefield/Then and Now

Yonge and Castlefield in 1922. The original unassuming facade of the Capitol Theatre (built 1918). Theatres would often have the lobby on the more expensive retail land (Yonge) with the theatre located behind. This was the case with Loew's stacked theatre at Yonge and Queen.
The film playing is the 1921 silent version of Cappy Ricks.
Eleven years later and the block's been filled in, including an impressive new marquee for the theatre.
Now it's the Capitol Event Theatre.
The S/W corner in 1922 with the theatre in the B/G.
A Dominion Tire Store.
The Dominion Tire factory in Kitchener (then Berlin) in 1914.
A historic slideshow of the factory can be seen here.
This old house remains across the street.

Dufferin and Schell/The and Now

The west side of Dufferin looking south from Schell Ave. in the early 60's. This area was originally a small town by the name of Fairbank. The Fairglen Dairy can be seen in the distance.
A brief history of the town can be found here.

A similar view in 2010.
The Fairglen Dairy on Dufferin looking north from Bowie Ave.

Bathurst and Wilson/Then and Now

The N/E corner of Bathurst and Southbourne in the early 60's.
A wider shot of the same plaza from across the street with an Aikenhead's Hardware store and a great vintage billboard graphic.

Dufferin and Lawrence/Then and Now

Looking east along Lawrence across Dufferin in the early 1960's.