This small burial ground in Manhattan's
East Village is sometimes
called the Second Avenue Cemetery. It is the oldest public non-sectarian cemetery in New
York City. Most of the 2,080 interments took place between 1830 and 1870;
the last was in 1937. All burials are in 156 below-ground vaults made
of solid white Tuckahoe marble. Although there are no gravestones, the
names of the original owners are on plaques in the surrounding walls. Their
descendants may still be buried here.