Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grim Discovery at Sunnyside/1923

These men are excavating a dead body from the frozen lake in the winter of 1927. Sunnyside Pavilion can be seen in the distance.

Sunnyside/Then and Now

Just to give you an idea of how much land has been reclaimed through in fill along the Lakeshore at the foot of Roncesvalles in Parkdale, here is a photo of the lakefront in 1915.
That's the old Sunnyside Train Station.

This photoshopped version (not perfect) shows the extent that the lake has been filled in. This doesn't include all the parkland to the south of Lakeshore Blvd.

Spite Fence

24 Leopold Street in Parkdale.
This photo from the archives is labelled "Spite Fence" and dated 1937. Someone obviously had a problem with their neighbour and the city got involved.

Camden and Brant/Then and Now

The N/E corner of Camden and Brant as seen in 1937.
The same spot in 2010.

More Spadina/Then and Now

This block of condemned houses on the west side of Spadina north of Camden Street would soon be coming down to make way for..
The Fashion Building. Built between 1925-1927by the Goldberg Brothers and Hartman.

Spadina Avenue by Rosemary Donegan

Another great book and resource is Spadina Avenue by Rosemary Donegan published in 1985.
A surviving row of cottages on the east side of Spadina. When I was in art school a friend of mine lived in the yellow building upstairs.

King and Power/Then and Now

The N/W corner of King East and Power Street taken in 1937. A nice little corner store.

Lost Toronto By William Dendy

For anyone that's interested in pursuing Toronto's history and digging a little deeper, this book by William Dendy is highly recommended. Lost Toronto published in 1978 provides a fascinating look at Toronto as it used to be with incredible attention to detail.
There is a vendor at The St. Lawrence Sunday Antique Market who usually has a copy for sale.
Also highly recommended is Toronto Architecture by Patricia McHugh.
This book includes several walking tours around the downtown core.

Church and McGill/Then and Now

The west side of Church Street just south of McGill in 1937.
2010, the building to the left remains.

Queen and Sorauren/Then and Now

The east side of Sorauren Avenue, Parkdale in 1950. The interesting thing about this photo is the two Ontario Cottages to the left that are no longer there.

King And River/Then

Here's a series of photos from the archives of the south side of King Street East where it meets Queen Street at River from the early 1900's. The cuppola of the Broadview Hotel can be seen in the distance.
The Broadview Hotel.
Looking West.
Note the wagon being repaired.
Looking East. These buildings would all soon be demolished to accommodate the new intersection/bridge over the Don in 1915.
Before 1915.
Looking east. That's the Old Don Train Station in the BG that's since been relocated to Todmorten Mills. The Don Station, the last surviving station of the Belt Line built in 1899, was moved from its original location on the Don River just south of Queen Street starting on August 2, 1969. Two days later, the three pieces of the station were reassembled at its new location in Todmorden Mills.
The Station today.
A wider shot looking east along King.
From across the Don River looking west.