Sunday, February 7, 2010

Yonge Street 1977-Just For Fun

Another postcard courtesy of Ian Brock showing Yonge Street looking north from Dundas.
Just around the time of the clean up of the strip following the murder of Emanuel Jaques.

Dundas and Spadina/ Then and Now

The N/E corner of Dundas and Spadina in 1921, the home of Dr. Moorehead will soon be demolished to make way for the Standard theatre.

Looking north across Dundas sometime in the late 1960's. The car in the foreground is a post 1965 Corvair. The Victory Theatre, formerly The Standard Theatre opened in 1921 and was one of the finest Yiddish theatres in North America. In 1935 it was renamed The Strand and re-opened as a movie house and was again renamed The Victory after the war. It continued to operate as a burlesque house until 1975.

The Standard Theatre.
Another shot of the Victory from an excellent site, Silent Toronto.

Cameron House/Then and Now

The Cameron House on Queen West just west of Spadina sometime in the 1940's.
Always a favourite hang out for the art school types it's still going strong.
Despite in the infestation of giant ants on the facade.