Friday, March 25, 2011

A Silly Photo/1936

What is there to say....
This young lady is promoting fishing licences along the Lakeshore sometime in the 1930's.

Carlaw and Danforth/Then and Now

A very detailed photo from 1934. Looking north across the S/E corner of Carlaw and Danforth.
The Sunkist fruit Market, which I believe, was still there a few years ago...

Carlaw and Queen/Then and Now

Looking north on Carlaw north of Queen in 1948 prior to the street being widened.

Carlaw and Gerrard/Then and Now

Looking north on Carlaw towards Gerrard in 1930.
A similar view in 2010.
A composite.

Pape and Gerrard/Then and Now

Pape and Danforth/Then and Now

The N/W corner of Pape and Danforth in 1919.
2010 and this building's managed to survive.

Pape and Dundas/Then and Now

The S/W corner of Pape and Dundas in 1951 prior to the widening of the street.
2010 and the corner store is gone as well as half of the semi to the south.

The Simcoe Hotel/Then and Now

The old Simcoe Hotel on Eastern Ave at Eastern and Morse.
2011 and the old hotel has been re-purposed as a townhouse complex.
A composite.

Halfway House Inn/Then and Now

Half Way House Inn 1849
Original Location: Scarborough, Ontario (Kingston Road and Midland Ave.)

This Georgian, two storey building is equipped with a single storey kitchen tail and shed extension. Alexander Thompson built the Half Way House in the years 1847 - 1848. The building is representative of pre-confederation taverns that were known in Southern Ontario. The Half Way House originally served as a resting place for stage coach passengers making the trip between Dunbarton, Pickering and Toronto. Over the years the Half Way House served as a hotel, an apartment building and later as a store. In 1966 this frame built Ontario classic was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village. The building required extensive restoration and reconstruction back to its original function and form. The kitchen was reconstructed based on structural evidence and archival documents. A modern restaurant facility was introduced to the basement.
The restored Halfway House now relocated to Blackcreek Pioneer Village.