Monday, January 3, 2011

Sad Day at Yonge and Gould/Then and Now

The S/E corner of Yonge and Gould in 1950 when this building (1888) was the Edison Hotel.
Formerly known as the Empress Hotel.
Before the wall collapse.
After the collapse.

By 2010 the building was empty due to a collapse of the north wall a year earlier. Although designated a historical site no repairs were made.
On January 2, 2011 a devastating fire that started early in the morning destroyed what was left of the structure and now there is absolutely no chance to restore this Designated Historical Site..
A convenient way to get around a demolition permit.
Jane Jacobs would be very disappointed....
Jane Jacobs.

Queen and Peter/Then and Now

Looking south on Peter from Queen in 1949. Note the restaurant on the left is the Peter Pan Lunch.
2011 and the Peter Pan is still there. Could this be Toronto's oldest restaurant?
The Senator on Victoria since 1948 claims to be the oldest.

Bladerunner/Then and Now

Bladerunner predicted this future in 1980.
The Future has arrived.
Dundas Square 2011

Yonge and Dundas/Then, Then and Now

The S/W corner of Yonge and Dundas 1952.
The same corner in the mid 1970's before the entire block(s) was demolished.
A similar view in 2011.

Yonge and Dundas/Then

Looking at the S/W corner of Yonge and Dundas in 1952 during subway construction. Everything you see in this photo is gone and replaced by the Eaton Centre.
The N/E corner in front of the Brown Derby. The subway entrance is under construction and the Bank in the background can be seen in the previous post.The curved facade of the bank is the only piece of this entire intersection that remains.