Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Westwood Theatres/Then and Now

The Westwood in 1974.

Cinema Treasures has this to say about the Westwood:
"The Westwood Theatre was originally operated by 20th Century Theatres when it opened in February 1952. In the late-1980's, Famous Players took over.
In the late-1960's, a second screen was added in a new addition to the original building. In 1980, the original auditorium was divided in two, making the Westwood Theatre a triplex.
The Westwood Theatre closed in 1998."

The desolate lobby.


No more coming attractions....
We had a lot of fun going to the Westwood at Six points. In fact I went on my first "date" there to see The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes when I was 12.
Later I saw The Beatles' Let It Be and at the end of the film the older kids (hippies)
started to dance in the aisles.

1 comment:

  1. I worked here for 4 years in the 80's - we were one big happy family

    ReplyDelete